This is my kind of town, C'ville is
My kind of town, C'ville is
My kind of people, too
People who smile at you
And each time I roam, C'ville is
Calling me home, C'ville is
Why I just grin like a clown
It's my kind of town





My kind of town, C'ville is
My kind of people, too
People who smile at you
And each time I roam, C'ville is
Calling me home, C'ville is
Why I just grin like a clown
It's my kind of town
Ok, so when Frank wrote it, it was actually about Chicago. But the lyrics are fitting. I spend my 35th birthday back in my college town of Charlottesville, and I am more in love with that town now than ever. It's true, things have changed. Things we (my college posse) never thought possible. Bodo's opened on the Corner. And a Starbucks too. The Art Department has finally been renovated. There are more gourmet gas stations than you can count. But so many things are still exactly the same and truly make this town a gem. People are really nice. The cars stop at crosswalks. There are awesome sandwiches (something DC has none of). There is a special artistic flair to the city. Incredible music is born here. And, a highlight of our visit, the area vineyards are really producing some great wines.
We got lucky and saw a flier outside shops along the Corner for a brand new vineyard that just opened. "15 minutes outside Charlottesville". Pippin Hill Farm just had their soft opening the week before we were there, so everything is so new. The owner, Dean (I forget his last name), was the former COO of Mandarin Oriental (a small company that anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel is familiar with). Dean basically said he got out of the company at the right time (just after they went public) and he and his wife "wanted a change." So, what better to do that open your own vineyard, right?
The barn (it's far from a barn) sits in the middle of a hill overlooking some beautiful open farmland that is protected agricultural land. Just to the west, over the mountain, lives John Grisham. Not a bad location. Everything about this winery is just lovely. The owner, the staff, the furniture, the landscaping, the architecture. And, of course, the wines. The Viognier is extraordinary. The reds weren't ready for tasting, so I assure you, we'll be back in the fall or winter to do some more tasting. But, what a great way to spend my birthday. Now, if only I could get Dean and his team of furniture makers to cut me a deal on some pieces for my own home. :)
We also had a great dinner at a restaurant called The Local in a neighborhood of downtown Cville, called Belmont. When I was in college, this area was shady. You didn't walk further than the Downtown Mall. Now, the whole area is thriving. The downtown mall is awesome! I found the best wallet. The shops are cute. There are a ton of restaurants, and everyone is out and about on the weekends. It sure does beat the one sandwich shop that was open when I lived there in the 90s.
I had a wonderful birthday and I have to thank my most amazing husband who thought of the idea all on his own and my parents who took Julia for the night. I think they are still exhausted from it. But it was nice to sleep late, eat well, run around my own town, and remember the good times I had there and the wonderful year I've had. I'm very lucky. I can end by saying, It's Been a Very Good Year (except for a few hiccups). But the Best (I'm sure) is Still to Come.
This is my longest post ever. Sorry. It must be the bourbon in my coke. :)
Comments
Post a Comment